You’ll never guess what I made this week. Just as second socks have to be knit immediately after the first sock or the pair will never ever be finished, it makes perfect sense to me to keep on going and make the second dress after I’ve finished the first, while I can still remember all the tips and tricks that I either used or more importantly, wish I’d used, with the first. And so this week I made Kitty her Susanne.
The fabric is more Liberty print, this time Hello Kitty Wonderland, bought from the sale bin in Liberty’s long before I realised how prized and treasured Hello Kitty Liberty print is – had I known I might have bought the other two lengths as well.
For my quite spectacularly tall 5 year old, whose age 8 dresses are looking decidedly too short I went for the age 10 size – and added an extra three inches to the bottom. And it looks like it might just last longer than a month before she grows out of it. At the moment it reaches just about past her knee, while Elma’s equivalent dress came just to the knee, but I like the way it looks, there’s a slightly 70’s kaftan vibe to it, especially as I went with deep orange thread for the topstitching (thank you Instagram and Facebook friends for the straw poll!).
The construction is obviously exactly the same as Elma’s; I didn’t use the elastic on the shoulders this time and I’m in two minds as to whether it needs it, the yoke is just a little bit big on Kitty right now, but she loves it as it is and vehemently protested the mere idea of any alterations so for now it stays without elastic. I also found that knowing how it fitted together meant that I could use the seam allowances at the side of the yoke to tuck around each other and pin them in place so that they were held in place by the waist seam. I’d love to show you a photo of what I mean but ever since I finished the dress it’s either been on Kitty or folded up on her pillow so you’ll have to trust me when I say that it looks a lot neater and tidier than the inside of the previous incarnation.
Despite much watching of YouTube videos on different seam finishes the easiest thing still seemed to be to use a sort of all in one French seam clipped to let it go around the corners for the sides and the sleeves and so far it seems to be holding up on both versions. The final touch on the construction was to make a little more bias binding to cover up the waist seam as before and then it was all ready to be hung up on the curtain rail to wait for Kitty to come down the next morning.
I love seeing how much she loves it. I’m always happy when the children like the things I make for them because there’s more than just fabric and stitches in the making, but this fabric has been intended for Kitty for a while and I’m glad I could make something for her before she grew out of every pattern anywhere that would make her her Hello Kitty dress. And as Elma will be all but adult by the time it fits her as a handmedown I can only hope that it stays Kitty’s dress for a good while to come!
And if you would lend me a couple of minutes of your time (and you haven’t already voted), I am blown away over the moon happy to be a MADs Finalist for the Best Craft Blog category this year, and I would love your vote. Anyone, anywhere is eligible to vote, just click on the banner below and look for Space for the Butterflies in the drop down menu for Best Craft Blog – thank you x