Family Kitty Milestones

The next step

28/06/2015

Space for the Butterflies - the next step

This week Kitty had her first settling in session at school. She was at nursery in the morning but when we picked her up after lunch she was fit to burst with excitement.  With her whole pre-school year dipping in and out of nursery as they all try out their new schools in her mind she’s been longing and waiting to go for EVER, but it was finally her turn.

The school invited her to a Teddy Bear’s picnic for the afternoon and as we walked along the road she held Dully (her bunny) in one hand.  To start off with we held Dully between us, swung her, told her about road safety (I suspect Warwick the Bear has been doing another round of the local preschools) but as we got nearer and nearer Dully was switched to the other side and a warm little hand held on to mine a little more tightly.

“Is Dully excited?” I asked.
“Yes! Very!” came the reply.
“Do you think she might be nervous too?”
“Maybe a little bit.”
“Are you going to help her make some teddy bear friends?”
“Yes, I think so.”

We stood at the school gate waiting for the teacher to come down and unlock, stood in a little circle of parents and grandparents chatting with a sort of nervous newness and rather quiet children holding very tightly to their teddies, while Kitty held even tighter to my hand.  But the gate was unlocked and the door opened and I signed to say the school could have her and off she ran with barely a backwards glance.

Space for the Butterflies - the next step

H was working from home and as the youngest two were having a snooze I picked her up by myself.  I was at least ten minutes early because after years of going almost everywhere with at least one child I have unrealistic expectations of how long it takes to go places, and when they were ready to come out she was lined up at the front, I could see her through the glass and she gave me a little wave before the door opened and she sprinted straight into my arms.

The next time she goes it will be September, and it will be for real.

Space for the Butterflies - the next step

And suddenly the momentousness of this change started to hit me.  Most of the time I don’t think of Kitty as being little; she’s tall and she’s my eldest and with two little siblings that rather emphasises the older/taller/more mature side, but stood there with her hand in mine my tall strong confident little girl suddenly shrank in my mind and was my baby all over again and I wondered how I was going to let her go.  She’s been in nursery since she was 10 months old because we both work, but she’s always been within the family more than she has been without, and now that will change.

I don’t know what she did for her hour at school.  Not really.  I know she got a name badge because she was still wearing it when we collected her and I heard about chocolate cupcakes “with flour on top”, a picnic blanket with Peppa Pig on that she didn’t sit on, and that they didn’t do any singing, but the rest is, and will remain a mystery.  And that’s how it should be.

This is the first big milestone where her story will start to part ways with mine. I so hope that she loves school, that she makes friends, that it’s a place that will nurture and support her, and that there she will spend a good chunk of her childhood, but my ability to influence that is, quite rightly, limited.  It is for her to forge her own path, as much as we provide the love and support behind.

I love that she had a great time, I loved walking home with her and spending even a smidgen of time one on one, and I really loved sneaking in a quick trip to the play park on the way home but when it comes to September I think I’ll be with Dully, equal parts nervous and excited.

• Kelly-Marie 28/06/2015 at 4:41 pm

Aw mine had his hour the other day and I didn’t get a backward glance either. He played on the motorbikes and that is all I managed to get out of him, his nursery is in the school so he is used to it anyway but now he keeps going to walk in the foundation classroom, doesn’t quite understand he has to wait a bit longer to go there. I know once he is gone in September I will be lost.

• Carie 28/06/2015 at 9:13 pm

Aww bless, that must be so confusing right now but it’s good to know he’ll be settled come September 🙂

• LauraCYMFT 28/06/2015 at 5:07 pm

Aww! I remember when my eldest started school. It is such a mixed bag of emotions. He was excited as anything though and couldn’t wait to go. Enjoy the time before September comes.

• Carie 28/06/2015 at 9:13 pm

thank you – we will!

• Mary 28/06/2015 at 8:15 pm

Emotional! I love the little convo you had with her and so glad she enjoyed it. Ethan had his too this week and it felt super weird to be there. I relate to them suddenly seeming so teeny all of a sudden. x

• Carie 28/06/2015 at 9:14 pm

It’s funny isn’t it – it must be the rarity of being without her littler siblings for comparison!

• Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) 28/06/2015 at 9:22 pm

Wow Carie I am glad she is so excited about it, but it’s definitely a big change for you all! They grow up too fast don’t they? Xx

• Carie 28/06/2015 at 10:40 pm

I know, and we’ve had nearly five years to get used to the idea!!

• Katie @mummydaddyme 28/06/2015 at 9:28 pm

Aw such a lovely post Carie and how exciting for Kitty. It sounds like it went really well. We have our first settling in session on Wednesday (we missed our first one as we were on holiday) and it’s a parent/child lunch in the canteen. So I get to see what’s going on for one time at least! 😉 x

• Carie 28/06/2015 at 10:40 pm

Oh that sounds like fun! I hope the lunch is nice!

• Rebecca 29/06/2015 at 12:53 pm

I’m sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. My oldest has been doing classes but she’s starting real, official preschool in September. Her birthday is September 11 and the cutoff here is September 1. When she was first born I had a hard time grasping the idea she would always be the oldest (my birthday is August 30 so I was always the youngest). But now I’m so, so thankful for that extra year we had to play and explore before she goes and starts school. And she isn’t even going all the time, three times a week for half a day. But the way you describe the changes is so true, I’ve been seeing it when she does classes already. Never getting the full story of what she did, getting half answers about the friends she made. She’s going to be in a place I can’t always control and protect her and that’s a terrifying idea, even if it is exciting to see her going off on her own and gaining independence. And THAT is why I’m still crying thinking about it…

• Carie 29/06/2015 at 8:27 pm

Oh don’t cry!! I’m sure it will be OK – but it is going to be a big change – and goodness know how it will be when Pip starts, as an August baby he’ll have a whole year less 🙁

• Chantal Milk&Nappies 29/06/2015 at 5:49 pm

A Teddy Bear’s picnic sounds so lovely, it must have been so exciting for Kitty! I think nervous and excited sounds about right – I can only imagine how you must be feeling! xx

• Carie 29/06/2015 at 8:25 pm

It’s all coming very soon!

• sally 02/07/2015 at 10:20 pm

I’m glad she had a good time and that you’re taking it all in your stride so well. As long as she’s happy these milestones are much easier to welcome.

• Carie 03/07/2015 at 7:38 pm

Oh that’s so true, if she’d been sad or clingy it would have been incredibly hard to let her go but she seems to like it – so far!

• Claire @ Clarina's Contemplations 05/07/2015 at 3:48 am

“she’s always been within the family more than she has been without, and now that will change.” Oh… This is the bit that slightly breaks my heart too! I’m so with Dully! Ava’s settling in session is next week… I hope it’s as successful as Kitty’s!!

• Carie 05/07/2015 at 7:07 am

I know! and I know it’s right that that should change but that doesn’t mean I should immediately like it!!