I know what you’re thinking; that my self professed project monogamy has turned out to be remarkably short lived even for me.
And certainly there is a weight of evidence that would seem to support that verdict, not least the presence of slightly less yarn sat on the end of the sofa, and what I am in no doubt would be the prosecution’s Exhibit A, a finished hat.
Well mostly finished. Technically it still needs a giant pompom on the end but that’s not going to get me off the hook.
But back to the quilt. I have finished all of the embroideries, and given them a little steam press face down into a fluffy towel to get rid of their creases and prepare for patchworking, and then I ironed the printed patches to get rid of the creases cased by years of sitting in a bag in my cupboard, and then I sat and looked at the two piles.
And looked. And looked again. And got the tape measure out.
The printed patches are 9 1/2 inch squares to give a 9′ finished block. The embroideries are 9 1/2 inches tall, no problem there, but they’re also 8 1/2 inches wide. Which is a problem.
This would be what happens when you try to combine two different sets of patches wouldn’t it. So far I’ve toyed with the idea of putting little plain white borders around the embroideries (fiddly and annoying), using spare red spotty backing to add little borders (fiddly and the red spot is too wide a repeat to get more than one row of spots and has every potential to be incredibly unforgiving if my cutting if a nano-metre less than perfect), or cutting everything down to be 8 1/2 inch squares.
I think that’s what I’m going with, it’s just that if I do that then I’ll want to make it a 6×6 quilt and that means I need some peace, some time, and some serious consultation with the tape measure to see whether I’ve got enough fabric to do that.
And while I was thinking, a couple of balls of yarn might just have fallen into my lap. I’m claiming it helps me think. Well that’s the excuse for Elma’s Christmas hat, I’m just not quite sure what I can say to justify casting on for Kitty’s.
Wool fumes – and too much time spent looking at people’s pictures of first snow!