Elma Family Kitty {the ordinary moments}

Some days

23/02/2014

Some days you just have to throw caution, routine, and a fair amount of common sense way way way out of the window.  And then forget about it, or hope it rains on it.

It was one of those days.

It didn’t start out like that I promise; I was full of good intentions, early trips to the supermarket before the sun was barely up, dinner pre-cooked by half eleven, and even a load of laundry out on the line in the sunshine.

Sunshine! That must have been it.  It’s the Mad March Hare syndrome; only in February.  Only that would explain why when we all got back from watching H play hockey and we’d patched up his war wounds and fed him a sandwich we found ourselves strapping two rather snoozy little girls into the back of the car at 4pm and heading out to the shops.

They slept most of the way there, and then as Elma chuckled and chattered from the snuggly warmth of her buggy, and Kitty (cardigan abandoner extraordinaire) moved from teeth chattering to actually chatting after the emergency purchase of an extra cardie, we pottered our way between shops, crossing errands off a mental to-do list, and doing more than a little window shopping.

The sun set, and with the dark came the cold, and the crowds started to thin, trailing away from the lighted windows to the hazy orange glow of the car park.

Elma was hungry, despite polishing off the snack we’d packed, and Kitty was getting to that stage of three year old where something needs to change really rather soon before the pixies come and run off with your child when you’re not looking and leave you with an imp instead.

My answer; crepes.  A few days early it’s true, but hot warming fresh crepes; nectar to a chilly soul.

And that my friends is how you would have found our little family yesterday evening at about the bath and bedtime time of proceedings; sat on a bench tucking into cheese, ham and mushroom (H), banana (Elma), cinnamon apple and crème fraiche (me – and yes it’s as delumptious as it sounds) and chocolate (Kitty).

Because there’s nothing quite like an abundance of sugar when it’s supposed to be bedtime (ish).

As a general rule we try not to overdo it on the chocolate, or the sugar, or the just a bit processed front, but every now and then ….!

Kitty, with one long chocolate smear reaching from chin to eyebrow, and delicate polka choc spots on the opposite cheek, cheerily wiped sticky fingers on the nearest available fabric (fortunately H’s hankie) and started a series of Frere-Jaques based pixie dances back and forth between us and her favourite shop window, while Elma gave her full rapt attention to tearing away chunks of pancake and digging out the prized banana slices.

The adults of the party were a little more restrained, but no less sticky by the time we’d all finished.

So was it worth it? Well we kept them up long past their bedtime, we gave them chocolate/banana crepes and supposedly spoiled their suppers (although both happily tucked in when we got home), and yet – and yet I hope that perhaps for Kitty at least one day she will look back on today and it will have snarled itself around her memory; a golden memory of childhood; the day we went to Bicester and ate pancakes in the dark.

mummy daddy me

• lucy 23/02/2014 at 7:28 am

Ahhhh, that’s certainly a lovely moment. Sometimes it just pays to throw the routine out the window a bit and do something a bit spontaneous. We’re planning on doing just that at tea time this evening actually, and we’re going to go out for an adventure instead. x

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 7:53 am

Oh that sounds exciting! H and I were thinking the other day about what made our standout childhood memories, and a little bit of parental rule breaking seemed a common theme!

• Kara 23/02/2014 at 8:38 am

I love that rules and routines are meant to be broken and this sounds like a perfect reason and everyone must enjoy chocolate x

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 9:11 pm

It’s true – if you’re going to break the rules – at least do it for chocolate!

• Lauren 23/02/2014 at 10:20 am

I absolutely LOVE this. Not just because of the mention of crepes which are one of the best foods in the world.
    I think some of the best days are when you “break the rules” and ignore the bedtime routine. I know a few of our favourite days laat year where when we went out and didn’t get home until 10 or 11. xx

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:38 pm

It’s true – crepes are truly wonderful food! And a small chocolate covered girl is a a tiny price to pay for enormous smiles all round!

• Capture by Lucy 23/02/2014 at 12:15 pm

Yes! Definitely worth it! I am all for routine, most of the time, but these special little memories are worth breaking the rules for xx

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:43 pm

It’s all good things in small measures isn’t it!

• Mandycharlie 23/02/2014 at 12:54 pm

Being thrown into the back of an army land rover, with a gaggle of children and parents (family friends) driven to Blackpool to see the lights, hot Heinz cream of tomato soup out of flasks for everybody and home again. I was about six, good times.

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:47 pm

For me it’s fish and chips on the beach at Bournemouth, or a late night swim on the last day of the summer holidays – golden memories indeed!

• Jemma 23/02/2014 at 12:59 pm

Ah that sounds truly, truly special. Found myself wondering whether we have a crepe shop and park near us! x

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:47 pm

Well it is Shrove Tuesday this week – you could always improvise!

• Jenny 23/02/2014 at 1:59 pm

I love special days where we can throw the routine out the door and just have some good old fashion fun. The break in routine, the spontaneousness of it really helps the kids enjoy their new adventure. So sweet. Thanks for sharing. #ordinarymoments

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:50 pm

A little rule breaking does makes the mundane into an adventure it’s true!

• Katie @mummydaddyme 23/02/2014 at 2:17 pm

This is so lovely Carie, and I agree, sometimes routines and structures are just made to be broken. And you can bet anything that it will be one of those days that Kitty will remember- I always remembered days like that from my childhood. Plus what a thing to break the rules for- crepes are amazing! x

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:53 pm

Exactly my thought on the crepes – if you’re going to do something you might as well go for it all the way!

• Anna-Marie 23/02/2014 at 3:51 pm

Whats breaking a few rules here and there for some lovely family time going to do, making memories as you go along! Crepes sound delicious!

• Carie 23/02/2014 at 10:54 pm

They were amazing – I’ll be rolling out the stewed apple and crime fraiche variety for supper on Tuesday I think!

• chantelle 24/02/2014 at 4:01 am

This is so sweet. I think days like this really do stand out in kids memories, they do for me when I was little. I love reading your posts I think you write beautifully. x

• Carie 24/02/2014 at 8:36 am

Aww thank you so much!

• Laura 24/02/2014 at 12:07 pm

Sounds like a nice day was had by all. I always look back on days like that as some of the fondest of my childhood and I’m sure yours will too when they get older

• Carie 24/02/2014 at 5:15 pm

I really hope so – and even if they don’t, it was good fun for us!

• Hurrah For Gin 24/02/2014 at 9:35 pm

Kids love it when you go off piste a bit – only a small thing but a big adventure all the same 🙂
    That picture of Kitty up against the shop window just feels so magical x

• Carie 25/02/2014 at 7:31 am

I think that’s it, the slight hint of “we’re not supposed to be doing this”!!