Baby Elma Family Kitty Me and Mine Photography

Me and Mine – a family portrait for September

30/09/2013

I was going to use some of our pictures from Spain for my Me and Mine this month, but I thought better of it.  Mainly on the grounds that in all of our family group photos from Spain, I’m wearing not only the same clothes on both days, but also the same clothes as August’s Me and Mine photo, and the same top as July’s photo.

What can I say, I really like that top! But I promise I do own more clothes, and did not spend July, August and a week in September wearing the same clothes, at least not without washing them frequently.

When H came home early on the day before Kitty’s birthday to help with the last minute bits and bobs and her birthday portrait photo shoot it was too good a chance to miss, so we packed tripod, remote and copious chocolate buttons as well as that all important giant pink three balloon .

But that makes this the first month since we started taking Me and Mine photos that I have a choice, even if it was an easy choice to go for these photos.  It seems like perhaps the impulse to take family photos is starting to become ingrained with all of this practice.  I’d decided before we went to Spain that I wanted to take some group shots while we were there, and not necessarily for Me and Mine, mostly because I wanted to have photos of all of us together.

And so I do.  As well as my Me and Mine pictures, this month I have photos of the four of us on the battlements of Vejer de la Frontera (as taken by Grandad), of all of us in a golf buggy (also by Grandad), and a grainy evening photo of all six of us together on the terrace of a hotel in Conil (by remote trigger).  It’s becoming second nature to see a white marble raised flowerbed or the seat of a golf buggy and think what a good tripod it would make, and I’m gradually getting the hang of the remote trigger and of composing a photo that I can’t actually see.

Perhaps this is going to be the most lasting benefit of Me and Mine; that in challenging myself to take twelve pictures of our family throughout a year I’m getting wonderfully and willingly pulled in to taking so many more.

We had a lot of fun taking Kitty’s birthday pictures; she was in seventh heaven with a balloon only a smidgen shorter than she is, although I swear I’m not doing a shoot like that again until she turns eight. Or eleven.  The number of outtakes I have where that three is a determined “E” would try the patience of a saint, and I’m certain canonisation is not in my future.  But the results are worth all of the effort.

And so we turned to our Me and Mine photos, fortified by chocolate all round.  Kitty loves the Elephant Circle in Jephson Gardens, and as that Friday, well that whole week really, was all about cherishing and celebrating our eldest girl, that’s where we headed.Me and Mine - September

Because of course, elephants are the first thing to come to mind when you think about rural Warwickshire.  Truly, truly elephants used to live in Leamington.  In the 1840’s Heigler’s Equestrian Circus was based here, and when they weren’t on the road, their elephants lived in a building in the centre of town.Me and Mine - September

The Elephant Circle is part sculpture, part bench; the three elephants and their boy were originally higher up the town by the old Elephant House to remember the circus’ part in local history, but when the shopping centre was expanded they needed to be moved and so they came down to the gardens by the river to overlook the place where the real elephants used to come to wash each day, and the concrete circle was built around them.Me and Mine - September

It’s perfect for tiny people to run around, and play at riding an elephant or two, and so it seemed ideal for a family portrait, to encapsulate memories not only of our afternoon running around taking these pictures, but all of the other trips to the park; from picnics with friends and their children under the trees earlier this summer, to visits in the winter when the fountains in the lake cascaded down onto snow on top of ice, and all the other ordinary runarounds in between.

My little family, in September.

Me and Mine - September

And as no Me and Mine would be complete without a favourite out-take, I present “my family, when asked if one of them would mind very much getting in shot so that I could set the focus”!

Me and Mine - September

dear beautiful

• Lauren 30/09/2013 at 9:58 am

What a beautiful setting and really lovely photos. I love it when the whole family get involved and have fun with it. Your out-take photo is so funny!! x

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:43 pm

He’s such a show off! And we wonder where Kitty gets her flair for the dramatic!

• Helen (SaveEveryStep - family stories past & present) 30/09/2013 at 10:30 am

These are lovely, especially the kissy one. Lovely sunshine and a happy set of images – what more could you want?

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:44 pm

I’m not quite sure what Elma made of it – but she’s used to being kissed and adored by all her family so she probably took it in her stride!

• Katie 30/09/2013 at 10:59 am

Gorgeous shots this month Carie as usual! I particularly love the one when Kitty is hugging both your faces – so sweet 🙂

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:45 pm

Thank you – she was monkeying around towards the end of our shoot but I love it; all her personality out on show!

• mascara & mud 30/09/2013 at 11:21 am

wow! lovely setting and gorgeous photos! i know what you mean about a fave top too!

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:47 pm

Thank you, I think they’re some of my favourite so far.

• Capture by Lucy 30/09/2013 at 1:59 pm

The love you all have for one another shines through in these photos, thank you so much for sharing xx

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:48 pm

Aww thank you so much!

• Katie @mummydaddyme 30/09/2013 at 4:22 pm

The last photo of you all is just so beautiful Carie- it is definitely one for a frame! All of them are lovely though. And I know what you mean, I am wearing the same top in two months of Me and Mine- I don’t buy many clothes nowadays. 😉 x

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:51 pm

I think you stop buying clothes for yourself when you have little girls and divert yourself entirely to the very great pleasure of dressing them beautifully. I’ve got a handful of clothes that fit now and a wardrobe of prebaby clothes that I’m hoping to wear again some day! But the girls, as the only granddaughters on both sides of the family could each wear a dress a day for several weeks I suspect without any repeats!

• Charlotte 30/09/2013 at 4:35 pm

I never thought of the problems of number balloon photography! Probably why they are mainly used for 1st birthdays. :0) Lovely photos! x x

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:52 pm

I had this lovely vision of how I wanted it to look in my head, I never thought the breeze would be such a problem!

• My Two Mums 30/09/2013 at 4:41 pm

I love these. The setting is great! The elephant press up made me chuckle.

• Carie 30/09/2013 at 4:54 pm

It’s a funny sort of monument but I love how they changed it to make it so easy to climb – it must have been really tempting but a lot more difficult before!

• lucy at dear beautiful 30/09/2013 at 8:44 pm

Grrr, I commented earlier but it has obviously vanished…

Love these photos. I love how close you all look and how excited Kitty is and squishing your faces to prove it. And the outtake is great, my husband does silly stuff like that. x

• Chloe 02/10/2013 at 10:37 am

I’m definitely wearing the same clothes in a few of my Me and Mine photos, I only have a smal selection of tops that I’m happy to be photographed in / that photograph well!

The last two family shots are just lovely. Amazing job with the remote!

• Carie 02/10/2013 at 4:51 pm

It’s the pyramid of clothes post baby – the ones that don’t fit yet, the ones that fit but are too worn to be seen in by more than your closest family, the ones presentable for outside the house and finally the pinnacle, the ones you don’t mind having preserved for posterity on the Internet!

• SAHMlovingit 11/10/2013 at 11:49 am

What a truly gorgeous place and what wonderful photos. My favourite has to be the one where your eldest daughter is holding your faces with the little one looking on. Love it!

• Carie 11/10/2013 at 5:12 pm

Thank you – it’s a very ‘us’ moment!