Family Me and Mine Photography

Me and Mine 2017: July

31/07/2017

We still live in a tent.  I know that at the end of last month a combination of hope and will power had me near certain that we’d be in the house by this point, but, well, we’re not.  All things being equal we should exchange this week and then complete as soon as possible afterwards, which basically means as soon as the mortgage money can get to our solicitors.  Next month, next month I promise we will not be living in a tent, because if we’re not living in our house then something has gone horribly wrong and we’ll be looking for a long term rental while we start all over again.  Not going to happen though.

We originally thought that we’d be living in the tent for a couple of weeks, three or four at most, and sitting here at six weeks and counting I am beyond grateful to my aunt and uncle for letting us stay; aside from the sheer joy of watching Kitty, Pip and Elma come to know and love them as much as John and I do, and the fun they’ve had helping to pick strawberries and raspberries and swimming in the pool, staying here has meant that while we may not have had a house, we have always had a home, and there just aren’t ever going to be enough thank yous to cover it.

We’ve just come back from a week going “housing”, firstly to Yorkshire to stay with the family, and then John and I escaped to spend a couple of nights away in the Lake District climbing mountains.  If you follow me on Instagram please note that the holiday spam shows no sign of letting up soon, and I’m utterly unapologetic about it – the Lakes are much much prettier than the view from my desk when I head back to work today.  The children, as far as I can gather, wore their grandparents out and flew kites, and we all enjoyed such modern conveniences as walls, beds and electric lights.  With the evenings not as light as they were when we first moved in, and camping lights good enough only really to find something, not read or knit something tricky, it was a revelation to have light that we could just turn on!

The holiday was pretty well timed to avoid a very soggy week; two days before we left the tent sprung a sort of leak, when splits on two sections of the back ridge got so bad that they let the back wall of the tent start to puddle on the ground, and where there was one puddle, another soon followed, and then the day I finished work our gazebo/shelter took off in a rogue gust of wind (despite being fully pegged and guyed out), so this month I have learnt how to mend shelters with self-adhesive tent plasters, and how to replace sections of tent pole and refit the whole shebang while leaving the rest of the tent standing – top tip, don’t try to use cheap and cheerful hacksaws on fibreglass tent poles; I think I cut it mostly through strength of mind!

The tent is much the better for the tlc and despite torrential showers bucketing across the skies yesterday afternoon we’re as dry as a bone.  I did however make the mistake of promising the children a biscuit when it rained, which they interpreted as a biscuit every time it rains, which means that an entire packet of crunch creams were laid to waste in the course of one afternoon.

On the whole the kids are doing pretty well with their life in limbo.  We had a few wobbly moments that could have been as much to do with the end of term as the house moving, and Pip has taken to telling us he loves any new toy so much that he doesn’t want it to go into storage, but they’re a happy little trio (despite Kitty’s very teenage expressions in some of these shots), currently obsessed with playing Swallows and Amazons, right up to and including the rigging of a Wild Cat Island style tent courtesy of some rope (charmed out of their uncle), out badminton posts, and their aunt’s old sheet.  You’d think that they’d have had enough of camping of late, but as I should well know, there’s camping and then there’s proper Swallows and Amazons camping.  Yesterday afternoon they performed Swallowdale: the musical, with particular focus on the climbing of Kanchenjunga and the spotting of goats, which was quite a sight to see.

Despite all of our adventures, this month’s photos could only have been taken in front of our tent.  Neatly cropped to avoid showing you how much of a mess it still is post flood and holiday, but still very recognisably our very own Buckingham Palace.  We haven’t decided when or whether we might go travelling this summer, but I know that even though we’re really really looking forward to the next stage of this big move, it hasn’t dinted our love of life outdoors, and there will be plenty of opportunity in the future to take out photos on our canvas doorstep.

My little family, in July:

The Me + Mine Project - Dear Beautiful

• Reply Laura - Dear Bear and Beany 31/07/2017 at 7:58 am

I can’t believe you are still in the tent! House moves are so stressful and things never happen as they should. I have my fingers crossed it all happens soon for you and we get no more rain. Beautiful photos of this moment in time that I’m sure you won’t forget x #meandmine

• Reply Emma Plus Three 31/07/2017 at 4:32 pm

Oh gosh it must be tough living in a tent for that amount of time! But you all look so happy and I’m sure the kids are loving it x

• Reply Julia @ Rainbeaubelle 31/07/2017 at 9:43 pm

Oh hello, I haven’t kept up with this tent experience so what a read! You all look happy and what a memory to look back on eh, to say you were in a tent for so many weeks 🙂 It will go through, it will go through! x #MeandMineProject

• Reply Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) 01/08/2017 at 8:35 am

I can’t imagine having to live in a tent that long but it sounds like you have (mostly) all enjoyed the adventure – apart from tent leaks and gazebos blowing away! It must be quite a novelty now to go “housing” and enjoy mod cons for a while. I love how happy your family shots are in front of your tent and it certainly sounds like your children have embraced it. Fingers crossed though that everything will go smoothly with exchange and completion and next month will see you all in your new home. #meandmineproject

• Reply Laura | Little Ladies Big World 01/08/2017 at 9:10 pm

House moves are so complicated and I so hope you are in your house very very soon x

• Reply Wave to Mummy 01/08/2017 at 11:16 pm

What lovely pictures of you all and gosh, what an adventure you have had with living in a tent for so long. It will be so weird when you finally move into a house. When I’ve been camping I’ve always come back to a house just wondering how huge and big the space is and how much non-essential stuff I really have! Good luck with the house move though, I hope it happens soon for you! #meandmine

• Reply Sherry 04/08/2017 at 12:32 pm

I love everything about this, I love your attitude right at the beginning of the post where you’re just so optimistic, to where you fixed your tent when it became damaged, and how you continue to love being outdoors and camping for a house. My daughter adores camping – it’s such an adventure for her, and it’s nice to see that despite it being 6 weeks of camping everyone still has smiles on their faces x #meandmineproject

• Reply Jenny 04/08/2017 at 7:30 pm

Love these photos and amazing you are living in a tent together. We love camping but you have beat it by far staying positive when it was damaged and kept going. That’s you so through and through babes so happy and making the best of life no matter what it throws at you. #meandmineproject

• Reply Laura 05/08/2017 at 4:33 pm

You have such amazing resilience and optimism to be able to cope for as long as six weeks in the tent, I don’t think we’d manage it. Gorgeous family pics #meandmineproject

• Reply Fiona 09/08/2017 at 8:37 pm

I love that your children play Swallows and Amazons. Those books were a staple of my childhood. My sister & I were Nancy & Peggy for many summers, I read the books to my four (born in Canada) children. They all said they needed their own set of the books when they moved out becuase they didn’t want to have to fight over my set so we ordered one set for each of them from England. We made a wonderful trip to the Lake District with our girls when they were in their early teens so they could see the places from the books. No one in Canada seems to know the books so it is such fun to know that they are still being enjoyed. Maybe my grand-daughters will be the next generation of Amazons when they are a bit older.

• Reply Sarah 15/08/2017 at 10:54 pm

These are lovely photos – but I think you are doing amazingly well to still be living in the tent! I’m commenting a few weeks after you wrote this so hopefully there has been some positive house news since! #MeAndMineProject