Family

Eleven years

23/04/2017

Yesterday was John and my eleventh wedding anniversary. We celebrated in style; I gave him eight cans of Carling and he gave me a night away in a Travelodge without him.

I promise it’s more romantic than it sound. The Carling was a final flourish, an evening of beer and football before what I’m reliably informed his training group have called ‘Get Ripped May’ (I know, I think they could do better too) as the first of his warm up half marathons approaches in a few weeks. Apparently Get Ripped May starts on Monday despite that being 24th of April so Saturday and Sunday night are the last chance for an indulgence.

And my night away? Every three years my college holds a dinner for every student past and present who read Jurisprudence. Its mostly people who are still in the legal profession who come back so it’s a great opportunity to catch up with old friends, only a couple of whom I ever see in a work context, and we all get to have a nice catch up and gossip while we drink something lovely from the college cellars and worry about how young the current students look when we ourselves only left five minutes ago. This year the current undergraduates were born after we matriculated which made us all feel extraordinarily old.

That I went at all, and that I got to stay over so I didn’t have to leave half way through to catch the last train, says more to me that I am loved than any big sweeping gesture ever could.

John is my rock, the person who knows me better than I know myself, and who looks out for me and supports me no matter what. He’ll tell me in no uncertain terms if I’m overthinking something or worrying about stupid things, and the voice in the back of my head that says that I can do it.

He taught me how to catch and the names of a number of now former Celtic players and I introduced him to the concept of vegetables other than potatoes and mushrooms. We are each other’s counterpoint.

Happy Anniversary love; don’t eat all the cheesecake ’til I get home.

• Reply Shivie P 23/04/2017 at 8:28 am

Congratulations! Lovely photo & a great way to celebrate your anniversary by giving each other something you each will enjoy & appreciate. I agree that grand sweeping gestures aren’t what make a marriage solid.xx

• Reply Ellen Boylin 23/04/2017 at 8:48 am

Morning! Congratulations to you both. I’ve loved your blog since I came across it via another one (which I now can’t remember!). I especially love the fact that, for now, we both live in the same county! I keep hoping that one day, while I’m out and about, I might just bump into you!
    I’ve tried to post a comment several times before but I’m normally at the ‘day job’ and, for some unknown reason, our server won’t let me post. So today I’m trying from home – fingers crossed. I’m mum to grown-up twins – both lawyers as well! One works in-house and earns mega bucks and the other does family law and, I’m guessing, will never be that rich but is absolutely passionate about what she does.
    I loved your post about Chesterton church and it’s one local place that we’ve never visited, so that is now on my list! Hope when you move, it’s not too far away! We will also be at The Handmade Fair at Ragley Hall on Stand SV144, just in case you might be visiting – do come and say hello!
    Ellen x

• Reply Lee Winemiller Cockrum 23/04/2017 at 1:27 pm

Happy Anniversary! I’m glad you gave each other “gifts” that work you… That’s all that really matters! Love the photo!

• Reply Laura | Little Ladies Big World 23/04/2017 at 4:32 pm

Happy anniversary an it sounds like a pretty perfect present exchangeto me!

• Reply Sherry 23/04/2017 at 10:54 pm

This is beautiful and those last few words were perfect to read. Happy anniversary to you both x #TheOrdinaryMoments

• Reply Donna 24/04/2017 at 4:09 pm

Oh Happy Anniversary. You sound so perfectly matched and your night away sounds lovely – a really nice event x

• Reply Notmyyearoff 24/04/2017 at 4:17 pm

Happy anniversary. You look gorgeous in that dress and I just love your presents to each other!

• Reply Mary Smith 24/04/2017 at 10:02 pm

Aww Happy Anniversary carrie! So pleased for you both! You look so young..what a lovely pic. Hope you enjoyed the break x