Family Me and Mine Photography

Me and Mine 2017: March

31/03/2017

Space for the Butterflies - Me and Mine photo project, March 2017

I know I’m writing this with one more day of the month to go, but I’m going to jump out on a limb and say that March has been a lamb. We’ve had some utterly gorgeous days, that actually happened at the weekend when I was home to wriggle my toes in the grass and open all the doors and windows to let the sunshine in.  It reminds me how much I love the changing of the seasons; if our weather was constant it wouldn’t be half as much fun to hang the first laundry out on the line, or enjoy throwing the kids out in the garden to get properly muddy.

The biggest news this month is that we think we’ve maybe just possibly found a house to move to.  It’s still not quite tied down so we’re trying not to get over-excited or plan too far ahead, but if it all comes off as we intend it will be a beautiful house (eventually, it needs some work) and a home in pretty much exactly the spot we want.  Keep all your fingers crossed for me.

But house excitement aside, I think this month has been one of family.  I’ve been making an effort to reclaim my evenings from work, and to spend the weekends wallowing in family life and while there’s still a little part of me that can’t quite get over the “I should be working” feeling, the truth is that at long last we’re merely busy at work not firefighting and it’s been good to be at least trying to find a better balance.

This month my family grew, somewhat earlier than expected, with the arrival of my very teeny tiny nephew, and we also got to head north for a well planned day trip to surprise John’s mum on her birthday.

Space for the Butterflies - Me and Mine photo project, March 2017

It was the most beautiful day; wall to wall sunshine, and far too hot for the clothes we’d left home in and the kids seem to be leaving a crumb trail of socks and jumpers all through the house.  They ran around the front garden and the back garden, played on bikes and with prams, and had a valiant effort at badminton.  John and I, reliving the summer holidays of our student days played for what felt like hours, required the borrowing of shorts and t-shirt, and left me with seriously achy arms the next day.  It was fun, and I must find a social badminton club somewhere to play with, as my school PE reports used to say, “enthusiasm but very little talent”.

These pictures are from that afternoon, and with the camera set up on a garden stool they tell all the story behind the finished photo.

Space for the Butterflies - Me and Mine photo project, March 2017

I’ve no idea why Elma looks quite so umimpressed – that’s more headstand than I’ve ever managed.  Kitty at this point had gone wandering off, but came back with what she saw as an essential counterpoint to Elma’s badminton racquet and Pip’s mini rugby ball;

Space for the Butterflies - Me and Mine photo project, March 2017

A mandolin – but of course.

And then Elma came back, and Kitty was persuaded that mandolins are happier in houses, and the kids all piled on.

The final photo captures everything about the afternoon, and about us as our little five; silly and fun and full of love.

My little family, in March:

Space for the Butterflies - Me and Mine photo project, March 2017

The Me and Mine Project

• Reply Mini Travellers/Fuelled by Latte 31/03/2017 at 7:41 am

Oh just so lovely, a sunny happy family day #meandmine

• Reply Wave to Mummy 31/03/2017 at 9:39 am

Fingers crossed about the house! It is such exciting time when you find one you love enough to want to buy. These pictures look like so much fun – you guys really got into all the props and all 🙂 #meandmine

• Reply Sherry 31/03/2017 at 10:01 am

My fingers are firmly crossed for you all and I hope you all get the outcome you want. That headstand – wow! Sounds like a perfect spring day for you all #meandmineproject

• Reply Doris 31/03/2017 at 1:06 pm

Fingers crossed and toes as well 🙂

• Reply Laura - Dear Bear and Beany 31/03/2017 at 1:06 pm

That’s so exciting about the house move, I really hope it all comes together for you all. Great fun pictures, that headstand is impressive!

• Reply My Two Mums 01/04/2017 at 7:48 am

Hahaha LOVE the final photo. What a lovely family moment.

• Reply Jess @ Picnics in the Rain 01/04/2017 at 5:00 pm

Oh brilliant photos Carie! What a crazy happy bunch you are 🙂 Fantastic news about the house – fingers crossed all goes to plan xx

• Reply Stacey @ A Mums Blind Love 01/04/2017 at 9:21 pm

What lovely photos, it looks like the perfect spring day. I have my fingers crossed for the house for you.

• Reply Mummy on a Budget 02/04/2017 at 9:05 pm

A great set of photos. Lots of fun! Fingers crossed on the house front. #meandmineproject

• Reply Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) 04/04/2017 at 10:14 am

I love your family photos from this month and how much fun you are all having out in the garden. I’m very impressed by John’s headstand – I don’t think I could manage one at all, let alone hold it long enough for a photo! Keeping my fingers crossed for you on the house front too and congratulations on the arrival of your new nephew x #meandmineproject

• Reply Deborah Nicholas 04/04/2017 at 7:42 pm

Aww your photos are such fun and im loving the sunshine this month – lets hope this continues!! #meandmine

• Reply Laura @ Little Ladies Big World 04/04/2017 at 9:10 pm

These are really gorgeous happy shots I love them, and yay for the exciting move I really hope everything works out and I have everything crossed for you x

• Reply Katy (What Katy Said) 05/04/2017 at 8:49 am

Such happy fun shots Carie!! Look at that handstand!!! x #MeandMineProject

• Reply Jenny 07/04/2017 at 4:49 pm

These are so fab Carie. I am completely impressed by Daddy’s handstand abilities for the photo too. Can’t beat a good doggy pile love reaching for the ball. Your kids are growing up so fast I can’t get over it at the moment. Weren’t they just babies? #meandmineproject