Once upon a time there was a Milo that got ripped back. A lot. The first iteration was trying to be snowflakes, and I do still love the idea of a soft grey backdrop to changing colour snowflakes, but it wasn’t what this yarn wanted to be. Then it was random stripes, here there and everywhere, which was fun, but still not right. And then at last came the Baby Bear Milo, the one that looked perfect, and the one that has now made it all the way to the hem. Yes, the latest addition to the Year of Milos is finished.
The grey is Rowan Felted Tweed in Maritime, the loveliest of soft greys peppered with blue flecks, and the rest is my handspun; whizzed up from a novelty batt many many years ago; navajo plied to keep the colour transition, and then stored in the top of the stash just waiting for the perfect project with which to show off its prettiness. The colours run from creamy white down to deep navy but there are flecks of sparkle in there along the way so the whole thing shimmers slightly in the sunshine – just enough to be fun and not too much to rule it out for little boy wear.
I followed the pattern pretty much to the letter, I just didn’t knit a cable pattern in the middle section, and started working stripes instead; three of the handspun to every one grey line, using the jogless stripes method to keep it all flowing smoothly. If you really really stare at the back you can just about see the diagonal line (running top left to bottom right) that marks out the join but you’ve really go to know what you’re looking for to spot it – and in this case you also have to catch up with a speedy toddler to be able to give it that close a level of examination.
I’ve knit quite a bit for Pip of late, mostly because he keeps growing, and I really ought to know that he keeps growing and not be surprised by it, but all the while I was knitting away I kept thinking to myself, it’ll be time to stop the stripes soon and I’ve only used up half of my blue yarn, and it’s just not going to look right unless I get to the dark blue. And then I’d hold it up against Pip and realise that actually I can afford to knit a bit more, and a bit more, and a bit more.
Even when I was into the last few rounds I was wondering whether I’d accidentally made him a dress, but I finished up with only a couple of yards to spare, washed it blocked it, and put it on him.
And it doesn’t look ridiculously big. It looks like there’s room to grow, and I really hope it still fits him next winter, but if he keeps going at this rate I might find I have to unpick the cast off to add another stripe!
But in the meantime he is warm and snuggly, and ever so slightly sparkly – and he loves it!