I started this quilt in March. And not the very end of March either, this was very much the middle of March by the time I posted about it, and I’d done quite a bit by that point.
But now, it is finished.
Not the quilt, not even just the quilt top, but the cutting. And while usually I’d consider the cutting out stage to be merely a precursor to the piecing, in this case I think it merits a hurrah all of it’s own.
The fabric is almost all Birch Fabrics’ Marine Too; I bought a lovely big fabric bundle of it when it first came out, added a few little extra pieces, and then bought a couple of lengths of Kona solids when I thought I’d found a pattern for it, until I realised that the blocks were on point and all the fishes would be swimming uphill. And so it sat in the cupboard until this Spring when I pulled it out with both a plan and a set of templates.
It’s going to be a triangle quilt. I think I’m having a thing for triangle quilts at the moment; judging by my Pinterest quilt board I’m going to be piecing points for many years to come. And I’m starting with one that in the current plan is triangles, more triangles, wadding, backing and binding. There may be borders but I’ll decide that nearer the time.
In March I’d just started cutting out the big 6″ central triangles, using the very handy Tri-Rec tool, and when I’d finished 208 of those I started on the solids.
The idea in my head is that it will have a sort of fishing net look to it, whales, submarines and sunshine all caught in a bright blue net and to make that, each central triangle has two right angled triangles sewn to the diagonals to turn it into a square, and then all the blocks come together nicely – well that’s the plan anyway.
So for 208 triangle, I’m sure you can do the maths.
I got to 396 before the fabric ran out. And while it would be easy enough to get more Kona solids, and even a slight dye lot variation wouldn’t matter too much because I’ve got two colours in the solids anyway, it turns out that 198 blocks will make a very tidy 11×18 arrangement, and if I decide that it looks too long and skinny, I’ll buy some more and make up the last few blocks.
So today I am celebrating that after months of cutting out 604 individual triangles, I’m done. Possibly for every and definitely for now. Now I get to start the sewing, the machine has thread, I’ve fitted a new needle and I’m off.
But while I plodded through the last bits of cutting out, I pulled out one of my stash of Mollie Makes cover kits for some instant gratification.
A little bit of tracing around a jam jar lid, some cutting, folding, hand sewing, hand sewing again because I’d been too enthusiastic on the first time around, and finally glueing and I have a pretty flower brooch.
Well at least I think I have it, Miss Kitty has some serious designs on it but as it’s a great way to use up and show off some beautiful scraps I think I might have to make her one of her own. Wouldn’t it be fun to make her a flower with leftovers from all of the dresses I’ve sewn for her over the years. I think I might need to go clasp shopping.
Oh and just in case you too have a stash of Mollie Makes’ kits in a pile waiting for a rainy day, the envelope on the back of this one says that the instructions are in issue 40; they’re not, they’re in 39, and the project that says 39 is in 40!